Fireworks can be a lot of fun…or scary, depending on what neighborhood you live in. But they use some unhealthy junk in their mix, mainly potassium perchlorate, which has been linked to thyroid damage when accumulated in the soil, air, and water. They also contain heavy metals like barium and copper, which can be toxic. Ironically, green-colored fireworks are particularly toxic.
While you’re not in that much danger during the one or two shows most people see per year, it’s good to look at the bigger picture. So, to clean up fireworks, researchers in Germany have developed new formulas that use nitrogen-rich materials or nitrocellulose instead of the toxic junk, so you’re that much safer when enjoying flashing displays.
The new formulas produce less smoke and cut way down on the need for toxic heavy metals used for the bright colors. The new (and more expensive) fireworks are already flashing at circuses and rock shows. With lower toxicity, the only safety issues you have to worry about now is someone jabbing a sparkler in your eye “on accident,” or getting a little tipsy and forgetting to let go of that newly lit popper that's STILL in your hand.
written by just cool design blog, July 03, 2008
written by Russell Reynolds, July 04, 2008
|< Prev||Next >|