OK...there's something going on in England right now...something mysterious. A lot of famous influential people (including our favorite Albert) have purchased £1,000 tickets to some dinner in London. Some are paying up to £50,000 for their cut of (hopefully, carbon-neutral) steak.
The purpose of the dinner is to launch some new, fantastic, global warming cure. Some kind of "climate safe" energy source that will...of course...save the world. The estimated net worth of everyone at the dinner is $100 billion...which is a little bit staggering. I'm starting to think they should've charged more for the tickets.
All statements about the technology are extremely vague. Apparently it's a breakthrough in "microtechnology," which makes us skeptical. I almost didn't write this post at all, for fear that it was just another in an extremely long line of "free energy" scams. But the people who are touting it are intelligent, wealthy and influential. It's hard to imagine the wool being pulled over so many eyes.
But we'll try to be subjective here...and if you want to keep pressing "refresh"...we'll keep updating the below as news comes in.
- Prime Minister Gordon Brown kicked off the event with a remote video on the U.K.'s future commitment to climate mitigation...and said he was investigating whether they could cut emissions by 80% before 2050.
- Gore launched into his keynote, saying he was grateful for Brown's leadership, and wishing "that was the case in my own country."
- No word on the "breakthrough" yet...though the effing rich and famous, probably know about it by now, since it's like 11:00 pm in London.
- Is it possible that they got too drunk on $200 bottles of wine to send out a press release? Yes...yes, I think it may be...we'll have a full post when the news comes out.
- OK...I give up...it's now 9am in London and I've still got nothing. I'm sure we'll all find out eventually...but I guess this isn't as earth-shattering as the press before hand implied. I'm going to sleep.
written by Ryan, November 30, 2007
written by Hank, November 30, 2007
written by Rob, December 01, 2007
written by frank, December 03, 2007
|< Prev||Next >|